The Carriage House - Historic Homestead of Martin Mylin
11 Landis Blvd, Willow Street, PA
The current homestead owners and founders of the non-profit KiSS Foundation, Kimmel & Stephanie Schaefer, are now offering stays at the beautiful Carriage House as a fundraiser for Take Heart. All it takes is a $300 minimum donation. Kimmel & Stephanie donated their sweet little miniature horses, Raphie & Reuben, as emotional support animals in the heard at Take Heart. They believe in and support the mission of Take Heart and are donating funds raised from stays at the Carriage House to Take Heart's Partnership Program, which funds sessions for clients with financial needs. If you would like to stay at the Carriage House, please contact Stephanie Shaefer at 717-209-2885.
Martin Mylin was a Swiss immigrant who arrived in Lancaster County in 1710 and is credited with creating the Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Mylin built his gun shop, which is still standing today, about 300 yards away from this site. The gun shop is listed on the Register of National Historic Places.
The oldest part of the existing main house is believed to have been built on the ruins of the original Mylin homestead in the early 1800's. In the early 1800's, the carriage house was used by Dr. John Mylin, Martin's brother, for his veterinary practice. He was well known in the area for healing horses!
The views from the pool can be seen from the "Carriage House", which has been recognized in a number of publications including, "Old House Journal", for its outstanding design and craftsmanship. This building includes a study on a study on the main level with reclaiming hardwood floors from an 1870's one-room schoolhouse. The study has a sitting area with built-in bookshelves and a fireplace, then moves upstairs to the mezzanine, which overlooks the tranquil space below.
The property consists of nearly two acres, which have been carefully landscaped to include unusual species such as the Korean Dogwood and the Acrocona Norway Spruce; the landscaping has been featured on the Demuth Garden Tour and has been recognized in several newspapers.